Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sprouting!

For the first time...ever, I have finally gotten around to sprouting some herbs to have them ready for planting in the Spring.

Well...that is a stretch. I wish I could take the credit, but these were planted on a school field trip and we were given the plants to take home. That being said...I have managed to keep these going from seed to now! It's pretty exciting and has been surprisingly easy.

I was given the tip to put a layer of plastic wrap over the seeds to create a sort of greenhouse effect, as seen here:


I must say this really kick-started my herbs. Within a couple of days I already had sprouts. It has now been a few weeks, and most of the herbs seem to be off to a great start. I'm pretty excited about it. Unfortunately, the chives seem to be having trouble...which is surprising, since I thought chives would be the easiest to grow!



I also stuck little popsicle sticks in the soil to label which herb is which. Below you can see the oregano :) The other herbs are chives, parsley and basil. 



My next job will be to decide where to transplant the herbs. In the most recent House & Home magazine, there were these really cute DIY tea tin herbs that I love,  as seen below:

 Go to the H&H page here

Otherwise, I could go with my original plan of potting them and sticking them in the backyard, something like this: 



We shall see. 
And on a completely unrelated note, is my husband not the cutest? This is what welcomed me this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment