Friday, November 8, 2013

New House: The not-so-fun stuff.

We have lived in our house for 3 months, as of yesterday. It seems a little crazy that it has been *only* 3 months. In some ways, it feels like we've been here forever and our last house is a distant dream. That being said, we are still loving it!

Moving here, I had (and still have!) many dreams of quick updates, like painting, that I would do right away. Well, 3 months in, and I haven't changed a thing esthetically. And I'm feeling OK with that! To be honest, I'm enjoying just living in it for now, and really thinking about what I want to do before taking the plunge and doing it. In our last place, we hastily painted all of the rooms. While I was mostly happy with the colour choices, it felt a little too neutral for me. So this time around, I have been doing a lot more reflecting before making changes. I'm getting there... changes will be happening soon!

Our last home: Perhaps too neutral?

To add to my lack of haste to make changes, Henry is entering a super busy stage (which I think will last...oh, 10 years or so? Ha!)


Our house is usually looking something like this. Needless to say, I spend a lot of time picking things up. I've also been really focusing on Henry and enjoying him as he changes more and more every day! He is so much fun.



Unfortunately, we've also had to focus on the not-so-fun parts of home ownership. Like installing a water softener (and then scrubbing years worth of water damage, sometimes unsuccessfully, off of everything it touched). And the big one: When we turned on our furnace for the first time, it didn't turn on. Yep, broken. Instead of pouring money into fixing a 15-year old, mid-efficiency furnace, we decided to expedite our wish to install a high-efficiency furnace instead. Although the furnace itself is going to save us a few hundred dollars per year in energy costs, it was still a pretty big expense up front.

Oh, and did I mention we're getting a new roof? And new basement windows? We signed those contracts before our furnace broke. Basically, we have been bleeding money here. And the house looks no different! And our wallets are almost empty.

Oh well, that's home ownership for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment