Wednesday, November 13, 2013

DIY Graphic Lampshade and a Nursery Sneak-Peak

Joe and I have finally started working on Henry's nursery. It was only a matter of time, since it looked like this from the day we moved in:

Pretty sad. But that is all history now. We have changed almost everything. Yes, everything - including the crib, change table and carpet. I'm excited to show you what it looks like now! However, there are a few final touches to add before I post it on the web for all to see. So for now, I'm going to show you one little project I did for the room, and tell you the colour scheme we chose.

As I had mentioned in a previous post about Henry's nursery (here), the accent colour I had to work with was orange. We had a little old Ikea lamp that we've been using in Henry's nursery (the one on the change table, above), and I thought it could use some sprucing up.

I looked online for a simple, graphic pattern that I could free-hand. It had to be organic looking (one cannot free-hand straight lines very easily.) I decided on this pattern, which is on a lot of wallpapers that I've seen around:

 I took a Sharpie paint marker (it's the one I previously used in Henry's artwork) and started the pattern on the bottom of the shade.

Then, I worked my way up. Et voilĂ ! I decided to stop before reaching the top, because I liked how it looked.

And now it looks like this in his nursery (please excuse the junky iPhone photo...)

Yep, after some debate, I decided on going for the orange/mint combo for his nursery. I am so happy with how it is coming together and can't wait to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment