Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The new car

Yesterday Joe and I made our decision.
We put a deposit down on the black Toyota Rav4 that we test drove on Saturday. Apparently someone else was asking to put in a deposit at the exact same time...but we got there first. So, we got the car. Well, we pick it up on March 23rd.



This was after much going back and forth, trying to decide if it's worth it, if it's the right financial and environmental decision. It all came down to the fact that we are outdoorsy and we want a family. And this is a good family car. We even stopped off at my sisters during our second test drive to see if a rear-facing seat would, indeed, fit in the car. It fit great!

It seems crazy to make this decision now, before having a family. Before even TRYING to start a family. Joe put it this way: Really, it's just a question of when we get this type of car. If not now, in a year? In two? It just makes sense for us. And it's going to last many, many years. (AND it saved us about $1000 in lease-end fees on the Yaris, which was a bonus).

Environmentally...well, it's definitely not the most fuel-efficient car. However, I feel I can justify this by the fact that Joe and I rarely drive. And we don't ever plan on being car-dependent. If anything, it will make us MORE aware of our car use, and we will probably use the car even less than we do currently.

Well, I'm still feeling a little strange about this purchase, but I think I'll be ok with it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment